Saturday, March 21, 2009

Training a Bear


Sometimes you get a dog that is a perfect match for his or her name. And as you can see, Bear matches his name.

Bear was in last weekend for his first Manner in Minutes training, and he was a delight. His owner brought him in the week before for an evaluation. I could tell right away he would be fun to train.

I had to talk to Pat Muller, the wonderful trainer who came up with the Manners in Minutes training system a couple of days earlier. I mentioned Bear and told her he was a Golden Retriever/ Chow mix. I had not seen that combination before but told her I thought it would be a great one to work with. Pat, who has worked that mix before, confirmed that those two breeds make a delightful dog.

Now the Chow Chow is a “serious” breed. They are a nice dog if well socialized and under control, but dangerous if they are not. Golden’s on the other hand are all about fun and attention.

So Bear was very serious about fun and attention.

He left here with all the basics in place. He will be back next weekend for follow up. I am looking forward to the session

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment