Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dumb dogs



When I first speak with someone about training their dog, I ask a lot of questions. Now it is impossible to figure out everything that is going on with a dog without seeing the dog. But owners can usually give me a head start on deciding what issues have to be dealt with by talking about their dog.

There is one thing almost everyone does. They start describing the problems and then suddenly pause. They then tell me that their dog is either very intelligent or very smart.


They are telling me something I already know. Thousands of years of breeding dogs to do jobs insured that only the smartest and most capable dogs descended from their wolf ancestors

A dog can be intense, funny, obnoxious, high strung, and a host of other things.


But there are no dumb dogs. If you do meet a dog that someone thinks is dumb, you have just met a dog that has figured out acting stupid pays well at his house.



Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment